I often ask the question of our producers, "What are you in the dairy industry to produce?" This is of course a trick question because undoubtedly everything comes down to milk. However, I say we are in the industry to produce calves. Keep reading and I'll explain why in the following video.
If you are interested in data-driven results, you will be interested in key performance indicators (KPIs) - or values that demonstrate how your daily operations are meeting specific business objectives. If producing calves is your objective, you will want to monitor reproduction.
Data-driven results require questions to analyze the data. So start with, "Why is pregnancy rate so important?" and "Why am I in the business to produce calves?"
I hope the following video helps to answer those questions.
Here is a list of questions to work on - do you have the answers?
- What KPIs do you use to monitor reproduction?
- How do you calculate your heat detection, conception, and pregnancy rates and what what do they mean?
- Are those rates trending up or down?
- Do you know the reason for the changes?
- What areas of opportunity can you identify because of those trends?